I’ve recently finished reading How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie. Here’s a summary of all principles and techniques discussed in the book.
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
- Don’t criticize, condemn, or complain.
- Give honest and sincere appreciation.
- Arouse in the other person an eager want.
Six Ways to Make People Like You
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in terms of the other person’s interest.
- Make the other person feel important, and do it sincerely.
Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it .
- Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say you’re wrong.
- If you are wrong admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying yes yes immediately (Start with questions to which the other person will answer yes)
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other person feel the the idea is his or hers.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Dramatize your ideas.
- Throw down a challenge.